A maximum of twenty-five students will be selected each year to major in Neuroscience. Application will generally be made in the fourth semester. Students with exceptional records may apply earlier than the fourth semester, if requirements are met.
Student applicants must:
1) Be enrolled in, or have already completed, the prerequisite courses (listed below) for the major and have earned a C+ or better in all courses.
- BIOL 2100 Introductory Biology
- PSYC 2200 Introduction to Psychobiology or BIOL 3050 Introduction to Neurobiology
- CHEM 1410 Introductory College Chemistry
- CHEM 1420 Principles of Chemistry
- CHEM 1411 Chemistry Laboratory
- CHEM 1421 Chemistry Laboratory
- MATH 1210 Applied Calculus I or MATH 1310 Calculus I (MATH 1310 is strongly recommended)
Note: PSYC 2200 and BIOL 3050 also count toward the 30 required credits for the major. Credits obtained as Chemistry and Math requirements do not count toward 30 credits for the major. Up to two CHEM requirement courses can be replaced with other 1000 or 2000 level courses offered in the Physics, Statistics, Engineering or Computer Science departments, demonstrating a student’s strength in basic sciences that are relevant to neuroscience. Substitute courses should be discussed with the director prior to program application.
A student who is missing any of the chemistry requirements should contact the program director to discuss alternative science courses.
2) Have begun working in a UVA neuroscience research lab prior to the application.
3) Submit the application by the deadline. Application deadline for the class of 2021 is no later than 5pm Friday, March 22nd, 2019.
Occasionally, students transferring to UVA between their second and third years are considered for the major through a similar application process. Transfer students are required to fulfill all prerequisites, although substitutions with transferred courses should be discussed with the director prior to applying. Please contact the director as soon as you decide to transfer to UVA.