A maximum of twenty-five students will be selected each year to the undergraduate major in Neuroscience. Application will generally be made in the fourth semester at UVA. Students with exceptional records may apply earlier than the fourth semester, if requirements are met.
Applicants must be enrolled in, or have already completed, the prerequisite courses (listed below) for the major and have earned a C+ or better in all courses.
- BIOL 2100 Introductory Biology
- PSYC 2200 Introduction to Psychobiology or BIOL 3050 Introduction to Neurobiology
- CHEM 1410 Introductory College Chemistry
- CHEM 1420 Principles of Chemistry
- CHEM 1411 Chemistry Laboratory
- CHEM 1421 Chemistry Laboratory
- MATH 1210 Applied Calculus I or MATH 1310 Calculus I (MATH 1310 is strongly recommended)
Note: PSYC 2200 and BIOL 3050 also count toward the 30 required credits for the major. Credits obtained as Chemistry and Math requirements do not count toward 30 credits for the major. Up to two CHEM requirement courses can be replaced with other 1000 or 2000 level courses offered in the Physics, Statistics, Engineering or Computer Science departments, demonstrating a student’s strength in basic sciences that are relevant to neuroscience. Substitute courses should be discussed with the director prior to program application.
A student who is missing any of the chemistry requirements should contact the program director to discuss alternative science courses.
2) Research Lab Experience Requirement
Applicants must have begun working in a UVA neuroscience research lab prior to applying to program
3) Letter of Endorsement Requirement
Have the head of the lab you are working in write a letter of endorsement with the subject title NESC Admission Endorsement Letter for (YOUR NAME) and email to email@example.com by March 6, 2020.